Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 33

So my half birthday (I know you all remembered this extremely important occasion, don't worry) is turning out to be an awesome day. I guess the "awesome-ness," if you will, started yesterday actually...Joaquin took Marla to introduce her to the nuns at the orphanage and I went along for my volunteer duty. After the introduction the three of us decided to take on a few of the boys there in a nice little 3 on 3 basketball match- Joaquin, Marla & I vs. the boys...I know you're probably thinking "that seems unfair"....and it was...only not how I first thought...they totally killed us- it was pathetic on our part really. We had to take a break because of the rain and then decided to play some of the games we had the other day...I'm sorry, but I'm pretty proud that once again I won their version of "Around the World,"- I think they call it "Corona" haha. "Burro" aka "Horse" was a different story. Samel (my fave) is quite the strategist and had us doing things like cartwheels, somersaults and break dancing before taking shots. I think it was more so he could laugh at our attemps. I was totally good on the first two...break dancing though....umm, lets just say I'm definitely a little white girl and it showed :)

Anyway, after our games Marla and I had the idea that we wanted to make a sports program so that on 2 of the 3 days we go to work at the orphanage we would organize games (soccer, vollleyball, kickball etc) for all the kids. And for the 3rd volunteer day (this one I'm really psyched for): cooking classes! We still have to get it approved by the nuns, but I'm really hoping it goes over. It's not like we're going to be making souffles or anything crazy haha, more like cookies and pizza- but I think they would love it, I know I would!

Today I taught my favorite section at school: 4B....and why do I love them so much? Two major examples from today: 1) They actually listen to game instructions and don't have hissy fits when they don't win 2) (this one I think is every teacher's dream) They actually REMINDED me I had given them homework last week and had me check it! Most of them had done it wrong, but I was so thrilled they were actually excited to show me their hw I gave them all stickers anyway.

And probably the best part of today- Senora Batres just taught Marla and I how to make authentic El Salvadorian pupusas! Her granmother was the first person to ever bring the pupusa recipe and make them in San Salvador (so these are the real deal.) I would like to think I am pretty decent at cooking, but props to the people here because shaping the tortilla is really challenging! Daysi (Senora Batres) was actually laughing at our multiple poor attemps. We finally were able to actually form a few and they still tasted awesome! I hope I can find the ingredients back home to try and practice making them.

Other final highlights: No school tomorrow! I have no idea why and I'm not going to ask questions. And why is it also amazing that I don't have school tomorrow? Because that means we can go to buy tickets early for next week's football/soccer game! Did I mention I am loving my life right now?...

1 comment:

  1. Mister Cakes tomorrow, I promise. I know that Uncle Debbie needs a frostie.

    ReplyDelete