Saturday, October 24, 2009

October 17-24

We're past the halfway point of our time here in El Salvador. I can't even believe we're looking at the end of October. I feel like Marla just arrived yeseterday and she'll be leaving at the end of next week! Here are some of the highlights in the past week- looking back its pretty much been a week of mini parties- with a little history thrown in.



Last Saturday night Docter & Senora Batres (my host parents) had a reunion party with other prominent doctors/ surgeons in El Salvador and their spouses at the house. Watching Daiysi (Senora Batres) and Alysia (I'm probably butchering the spelling of her name, but she comes to the house a few days a week to help cook & clean) preparing everything for that night in a weird way made me kind of homesick. While the menu was completely different, it reminded me of all the parties we've had at our house in the US and made me eager to get back to plan my Christmas party! (That's right I'm telling you now, there's going to be a big party when I get back :) ) Anyway- at first Vicki, Marla and I felt a little out of place. It was kind of like we are at the "kids' table" - secluded in the dining area while everyone else was in the living room and served our food at a separate time (which by the way was a delcious paella). However, as the night continued and the music came on we decided to join in and dance! Let me just say I have never felt more white in my life. These middle aged couples had at least 40 years on me, and yet put my "moves" to shame. Between my lame attemps at the salsa and the meringue I actually had Joaquin's mom laughing at me- but we all had so much fun. Daiysi said she would teach me and Marla for an hour every day to help us improve haha! We haven't yet, but I would love to be able to come back home with some real latin dance skills.



Sunday we were up early. Walter (another volunteer Vicki befriended at the orphanage) came to the house to meet us and show us around San Salvador, the capital city of El Salvador. I think I could sum it up by saying we visited a lot of churches. We attended mass at the National Cathedral and I learned about Archbishop Oscar Romero who was shot while saying mass in 1980 here. It was interesting to learn the history- Msgr. Romero is known as the person who "gave a voice to the voiceless" as he spoke out on behalf of the poor here and till this day he is thought of as a modern day saint beloved by everyone here. We also visited two other churches with completely different styles- one gothic and the other with a more modern feel with these amazing floor to ceiling arched windows that formed a rainbow from top to bottom. To be completely honest, the city was not my favorite. It was a little too crowded, dirty, and I didn't feel completely safe. BUT, there were definitely some charming elements and I'm glad I got to see it.



Tuesday was supposed to be the first day of Marla and my cooking class at the orphanage. We had planned to bake cookies...however, when we went on Monday to have a meeting with the nuns to go over the ingredient list we recieved some harsh news- the oven was broken! So clearly no cookies....we were so disappointed. Back to square one and we thought: What could we do that did not need an oven?.....Ice cream sundaes! We had a group of about 10 boys we have been playing sports with so we bought 2 half gallons of ice cream, some sprinkles, and these candy peanut things (they were cheap and colorful haha). When we got to the orphange we were greeted by the eager boys who led us to one of the tables in the back. Samel was prepared with 12 bowls and I then asked him for spoons. He came back with one large one for scooping out the ice cream, but when I asked him for the rest to eat with, he shook his head and we all started to laugh, apparently there weren't any. The boys suggested eating with our hands and I figured- why not, right? Definitely a first experience for me, and a bit challenging, but it was SO nice to see the kids totally enjoying it. I was really amazed at how grateful and respectful all the kids at the orphanage have been. Before we went with the ice cream that day I was stressing a little and was telling Joaquin I was afraid of not having a set group- how could we show up and just pick certain children? We had a group that we normally played with, but not really a set group of kids. Knowing my kids at school and kids in general I figured if we showed up with ice cream we would be swarmed with a bunch of children all trying to get a treat. I was proven completely wrong- we had a nice small group of 10 boys, and yes, kids did come over- but not even to ask for anything, just to say "hi." It was like they knew there place, knew it wasn't for them, and respected that. This of course only made me want to give it to them more, but we didn't have enough for everyone. I am truly amazed by them. I told my parents this same story and how I wished we could give ice cream to all 60 kids and they have offered to donate money, with the money we will probably have enough to actually take them all out to go and get ice cream!! I'm very excited to plan that in the next week. (Thanks again Mom & Dad!!!)

Finally Friday was the last day of classes for the kids at school (such a bazaar thought to be that summer starts in November here.) I made sure to take a bunch of pictures this week of all my classes, especially my favorite kids haha. They have been so sweet begging me to come back next year and asking me to send the pictures of me with them to school. There are some I'm really going to miss and wish I could take home with me...well okay, maybe not take home, but I will miss seeing them everyday! I also stayed in the afternoon with Vicki because the 8th grade was hosting a dance! I felt like I was back at one of my middle school dances- apparently the way young adoclescents behave at a dance transcends countries. In the room everyone just sat in chairs lining the room- girls on one side, boys on the other and NO ONE dancing. A couple were willing to try and get people up, so Vicki and I thought we would help out too! It ended up being sooo much fun! I danced with a couple of the younger boys, joined the circle of my fifth grade girls, and even started a train with the group. (Don't worry we have a video of that one, and some other pics too). All in all, a great way to finish off the year!

1 comment:

  1. Deborah, You must learn those salsa moves
    so you can teach us....probably not Dad, but I want to try. It seems like these El Salvadorians like to party....just like you!
    Enjoy the fun! Glad you are having a good time.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete