Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Day 1
I'm going to try and do this by date- just because I feel like its easier, I doubt I will be able to write everyday, or have something important- but these first few days have each been "action packed," if you will so I feel like its easier to summarize. ANYWAY - Saturday was a looong day- our 2 flights went well, per usual, I couldnt fall asleep on the plane so when we arrived I was going on 2 hrs of sleep. Our coordinator picked us up from the airport- My first impression: It is SO freakin hot here!!! and apparently this is the "refreshing" time here. When we got back to Joaquin's house we met his parents (soo nice & cute, no inglais though) and another volunteer, Hannah from Germany who would be traveling to the other program on the island. Vicki and I share a room- it's small, but nice. And yes, my mom was right- no hot showers. To be honest though, with the heat, I actually welcome the icy water haha. We then went to "Taco Loco" for lunch: hands down BEST tacos I have EVER had :) After getting settled we watched the El Salvador/USA soccer game (they are realllly into futbol here) had some beers, then we had our "orientation" while his mom prepared "pupusas"- pretty much THE food in El Salvador, their specialty - as pizza or bagels are to New York- wikipedia has a great description- I wont go into detail but its delicious! Soo then we went to bed for a hot 3 hours because we had to get up at 4am to travel to the island to see where the other volunteers will work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment